Computer Security Service for People with Alzheimer's or other Cognitive Diseases
Project location: ITALY, Lazio Region
Project start date: December 2010 - Project end date: September 2011
Project number: 2010-74
Beneficiary: Alzheimer Uniti Roma Onlus
After careful research among its patients, Alzheimer Uniti Roma Onlus, has selected 18 people in the city of Rome, which represent a sample of the two stages of the disease that the Diogene experimental project will monitor with the use of geolocation bracelets. The same search for participants was done for the Tolfa location in the assisted residence where the association operates. The search resulted in identifying two people whose condition is such as to be able to participate in the testing.
From the various interviews with family members of patients considered for experimentation it has been understood that for reasons related to the different family situations, it will be difficult to use the month of August for testing. In particular many families explained that August being a vacation month they often take the alzheimer patient to their home by the sea or in the mountains,.
Therefore, after a quick analysis, the Working Group decided to focus the time devoted to various activities and to reduce the time devoted to the development of software using pre-holiday days also and week-ends, in order to anticipate the experimentation to include the month of May June and July 2011.
The activities implemented for the Diogene Project are the following:
• Upgrading of telephone line ISDN Telecom;
• Adjustment of infrastructure for Contact Center
• Strengthening for high reliability the internet line
• Reorganization and upgrading of the Server Farm
o Purchase and configuration of the central server
o Switch Configuration for Server Farm separation banda
o Adjustment to infrastructure and security
o Purchase uninterruptible power supply
• Reorganization of Contact Center room
o Furniture workstations
o Purchase and mounting partitions
o Purchase Switch for Contact Centers
Device and SIM
o Purchase 20 Wristbands (ordered)
o Choice of telephone operator for testing
o Acquisition and maintenance SIM for experimentation
Software and Test
• Market and purchase software electronic Scouting Help
• Design and integration of application systems
• Setup and Configuration Server
• Test configuration for wristbands
• Application installation on the PCs of the Contact Center
• Test alarms without central system
• Central telephone installation and integration
• Testing of the complete system
• Testing of the 20 wristbands
Staff selection and Training
• Selecting Contact Center Operators
• Writing of intervention manual
o Application Section
o Communication Section
o Operational Protocol Section
• Application operators Training Session
• Operational intervention protocols Definition
• Operators' Training Session
Logistics and Mailings
• Preparation packages with SIM devices tested included
• Send packages by courier to SdP
• Parcel delivery to caregiver
April 28 Test System
• Preparation for Test simulation of the system conducted on the 28th of April
• Preparation for presentation to families made on 28th of April
During a recent meeting convened by the Special Commissioner for missing persons, in which the Joint Interforce Committee participated, Alzheimer Uniti, along with SdP - Security Systems, informed the members present of the technical solutions relating to the operations room of the provincial command of the Carabinieri in Rome and at the Headquarters of the State police.
On 13 April 2011 the Department of public safety, coordination and Planning Office of the police force held a meeting on the project for the apprehension of Diogene people affected by Alzheimer's disease in the event of removal from home or from the hospital.
The meeting, chaired by the Prefect Bruno Frattasi, Director of the Office, also saw the participation of the extraordinary Commissioner for missing persons, Penta Michele Prefect General Domenico Puteo and various representatives of the various structures of the police summons.
Representatives of police forces have unanimously expressed a favourable opinion with regard to stand-alone technical solution presented by Alzheimer's and SDP, reserving, however, to examine the elaborate design as soon as it was received by the respective provincial offices to which it had been presented by the SDP.
Various operational procedures had to be defined.
Guidelines for the process and management of emergencies between SDP and the control center operational state police and Carabinieri di Roma e Provincia were outlined.
1. the emergency call is routed from the SDP Control Center to the operation centers of the Police and Carabinieri only after the last of three caregivers, enabled for searching, has manifested the inability to track down and retrieve the missing person;
2. the alarm of the SDP Control Center is posted simultaneously to the operation centers of the Police and Carabinieri. Immediately after the alarm, the operating centers will receive from SDP an electronic form with the data of the missing person's personal somatic features as well as a territorial location map derived from the uptake of the GPS signal;
For the management of intervention the following principles will be followed:
- proximity principle, the police force which is closer to the GPS localized point of contact with the missing person or PCCT will take the responsibility to manage the intervention.
-the principle of subsidiarity, according to which the police force which is handling the intervention may request assistance of another police force if that corresponds to the operational needs of the patient's recovery, thus avoiding that the person goes farther away ;
-criteria of partitioning 50% between the police force of the patients according to the probability of their running away. This would include the principle of proximity of the presidium of the police force closest to the patient's home.
The SDP Control Centre must immediately communicate to the police force the phone number and contact data of the caregiver to whom the patient is entrusted once found.
3. Once the intervention the Police is completed , the patient is entrusted to the caregiver indicated, following the normal operational procedures. If necessary, the police force after evaluating the urgency for health relief, may decide to ask for medical assistance and simultaneously inform the caregiver. If medical assistance is necessary the police force hands down responsibility of the patient to the medical operators.
Proposal for a Provision for operative stand alone
The following proposal provides for a system receiving alerts at the operations room of the 112 call center in Rome and the provision of a system for receiving alerts at the headquarters of 113 call center in Rome
The supply includes:
• No. 1 position control (PC) monitor;
• No. 1 Internet connection with contract through external operator;
• No. 1 client software installed on the workstation to receive alerts and emergency and recording of calls;
• No. 1 VOIP software for dialing between Alzheimer's disease control center and 112 station ;
• 2 hours of training for the staff of the Centre;
• Maintenance and support of software.
All expenses for the activities listed above are at SPD charge.
Operating procedure in cases of disappearance
The procedure provides that, in the case of the disappearance of a user on the territory under the jurisdiction of the 112 in Rome, the operator of Alzheimer's disease control center will inform the staff of 112 and 113 of the state of alert.
Emergency communication is displayed on the control workstation and, through a default, all useful information is available to track the user.
The state of alarm is preceded by a warning sound to draw attention.
The operator of the 112 and 113, through the selection of a button, takes charge of the emergency.
The control centre operator must control that the emergency is picked up and charge taken, otherwise dial directly the 112 or 113 call center.
The mode of communication and interaction between operators will be the result of successive agreements and will be disclosed in a separate document.