Computer Security Service for People with Alzheimer's or other Cognitive Diseases
Project location: ITALY, Lazio Region
Project start date: December 2010 - Project end date: September 2011
Project number: 2010-74
Beneficiary: Alzheimer Uniti Roma Onlus
At the same time the tested devices provided (4) have been delivered to the Nucleo Alzheimer at the Rest Home " Residenza Quinta Stella" in Tolfa.
During the exposure of the project to the caregiver, made in a community meeting, 20 families signed in. However, both the patients and the caregivers felt great emotion and tension, which led to the resignation of four people who had accepted to participate. These people were promptly replaced with others indicated by Alzheimer Uniti.
At the date of the report there have been no occasions of crisis. In accordance with the Association, a series of simulated actions are being planned for the end of the month, in order to collect the first data.
MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR
On May 16, 2011 the Department of Public Safety, Office of Coordination and Planning of Police Forces, has organized a new meeting regarding "The Diogenes Project for the tracing of people suffering from Alzheimer's disease in the event of being away from home or from shelters ".
The following topics were discussed:
"The Diogenes project for people with Alzheimer's has already been studied by the Special Commissioner of the Government for missing persons and, ultimately, also by the "interforze" (joint forces) at this office.
It appears appropriate to draw attention on the following points:
- At the meeting of April 13 testing procedures were discussed, as a result specific operational guidelines were to be set;
- Pending the preparation and sharing of operational procedures, police forces interested in the testing should have authorized the installation of "stand alone" posts in the operating rooms necessary to communicate with SdP;
- Following the steps summarized in the preceding paragraphs, a meeting was convened to validate the protocol drawn up jointly.
Meanwhile the following new elements have come up:
- President of the non-profit organization "Alzheimer Uniti" has announced his intention to launch the experiment, compensating for the failure to activate the "stand alone" posits with alternative means (fax or e-mail);
- The General Command of the Carabinieri has made known, for its part, that it authorized the installation of "stand alone" workstations, but has not deemed feasible to start of the training without definition of the procedures, unless otherwise agreed upon by joint forces.
- The Central Directorate for General Affairs of the State Police, for its part, believes that experimentation can take place only on the basis of guidelines and that the drafting of the procedures can be done later, but did not consider the experimental start on short notice (May 16, 2011) feasible, given the need to define profiles and to inform the Police Headquarters in Rome. Also, it stresses that the Operations Centre in the SDP will forward any communication to the operations room of the State Police via the emergency number 113, in compliance with current European regulations. Finally, it underlines the need for the deployment of the first homes of the "candidates".
In view of these elements, denoting the failure to pass key points, it highlights the opportunity to convene a meeting for May 23, 2011 at 16:00 in the Sala Europa, located on the second floor of Palazzo Cimarra via Panisperna , 200, for the final development of the problem. "
The meeting, chaired by the Prefect Frattasi Bruno, Director of the Office, was held on 23 May 2011 and also saw the participation of the Special Commissioner for missing persons, Prefect Michele Penta of General Domenico Puteo and of representatives of various structures of the State Police.
It is agreed between the Police and Promoters of the project to accomplish the following:
-To provide the police forces of geographical indications relating to the relocation of patients involved in the testing phase in order to identify the most appropriate operational structures and perform a more rapid action;
- The need to send simultaneous alarm signal to the central / operations rooms of the police in case of the sick person be reported sick. When the call is received by one of the two forces, the SdP Central will notify the other forces;
- Transmission by SdP of all data necessary (photography, physical features, clothing worn) to start the research of the patient who is no longer detectable to the police force that took charge of the intervention request. The "caregiver" is to formalize the complaint of removal / disappearance to legitimize the processing of data and operating procedures of intervention;
-Illustrate the importance of the project and structure in an operating agreement, also to CPOSP, and include the 118 service in order to improve the arrangements of handing the sick person from the police forces to health workers.
- Draw up a''feedback "after a short period from the commencement of testing in order to evaluate the possible criticality of the system as a whole. A thorough evaluation of feedback received will be a key element on which the operational procedure will be drawn needed for a future Memorandum between the Association and the Special Commissioner.