Psychological, Cultural and Social Support Activities for the Residents of the Santa Margherita Institute for the Elderly in Rome
Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: November 2011 - Project end date: November 2012
Project number: 2011-44
Beneficiary: Associazione Famiglia Domani
The "Santa Margherita" Aid and Charity Public Institution (IPAB) is a shelter and service for the elderly established in the late nineteenth century, located in the complex of Santa Balbina, in the area of the small Aventine. The building complex of approximately 5,000 square meters, in addition to housing about 90 seniors, is composed of several areas that the IPAB rents to non-profit institutions with goals similar to theirs.
Of these 90 seniors (50 men and 40 women), only 5 are currently "bedridden" and all others are self-sufficient. The problem facing the IPAB directors is how to entertain the residents in order to prevent their rapid psycho-physical deterioration.
The Famiglia Domani Association decided to address this need by renting a portion of the IPABs ample space so as to promote systematic and structured recreational and cultural activities (cinema and internet in particular) for the elderly.
More in details, the Famiglia Domani Association has:
1) organized in a regular way a monthly Cineforum with the setup of a room dedicated to the screenings of movies and music videos: before the film, a snack is always offered to the elderly and after they have the possibility to stay for a comment on the film if they want to;
2) has made its library available for the readings of the elderly: every day, from 9,30 to 13,30, they can always go to the library, rent books or read them in the library and they can always have somebody to talk with and from whom be advised;
3) has organized small live concerts with young musicians who do not only play but also sing;
4) planned leisure time activities such as bingo and other games with their own prizes. For these games we usually involve young families in order to give the Elderly the joyful presence of children;
5) has organized conferences where the residents have the possibility to meet new people and to be updated with arguments of current issues;
6) has created a computer room to provide the Institute's residents with a training course on basic computing and where they can exercise themselves.
During this year of activity, a consistent number of guests, either of the Santa Margherita Institute, or elderly coming from the surrounding areas, have participated in a regular way in the activities promoted by the Famiglia Domani Association, in particular the movie forums and computer courses.