Supporting the Church of SS.Trinità dei Pellegrini, Rome

Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: January 2009 - Project end date: This project covers various years
Project number: 0000-13
Beneficiary: Parrocchia Personale della SS. Trinità dei Pellegrini

 

Support to the Church of SS. Trinità dei Pellegrini

The church of Trinita dei Pellegrini in Rome, built in the late sixteenth century by the Archconfraternity of the Trinity, founded by St. Filippo Neri, was in later centuries and until the nineteenth century continuously enriched with works of art and architecture (the vast complex of halls, oratories, galleries, refectories, cloisters, dormitories, the two large kitchens - one in a circular plan and covered by a dome - were confiscated along with all of its assets after 1870 and then demolished) by the Archconfraternity, whose mission was to welcome and provide assistance to the poor pilgrims in Rome.
The Archconfraternity included all the princes and the Roman nobility who, by performing the act of washing the feet of pilgrims and serve them, were an example of charity and humility.
The richness and greatness of this religious institution is reflected not only in the magnificence of the church of the Trinity and the works that it contains - such as Guido Reni's Trinity on the main altar, one of the most famous paintings of Rome - but also in furnishings and vestments, which remain, despite the vicissitudes of the Archconfraternity and the building of the Trinity, still numerous and of considerable value.
This church, which still houses the Archconfraternity, was almost forgotten since the 40s and has almost always remained closed and scarcely visited, a kind of secret place, still in time, which has not suffered the devastation of the reformed liturgy against the altar and liturgical furnishings.

The Nando Peretti Foundation supports restoration of this Church.


think global, act local
you are here: Home  > Projects:  Historical partners or Europe  (or Both