Concerts for the people of Fortore in Campania, Italy
Project location: ITALY, Fortore, Campania
Project start date: June 2013 - Project end date: November 2013
Project number: 2013-017
Beneficiary: Associazione Culturale Musica e altre cose
Fortore is a small town located in the province of Benevento, a land with a strong agricultural vocation, surrounded by soft hills covered with olive trees producing noble and refined olive oil. Despite its great potential, the town remains poor not only economically but also culturally, lacking significant opportunities for social and artistic exchanges.
This project was meant to provide new opportunities for socialization and cultural development in the region through the universal language of music. The Association “Musica e altre cose” organized in Fortore two concerts of the “Mismountain Boys”, a music band playing popular music of American origin, country & bluegrass, a kind of music that was born in the rural area of USA: a musical style that is well suited to the rural character of Fortore.
- The first concert took place in San Marco dei Cavoti, at Palazzo Colarusso, the headquarters of the Iacocca Foundation (named after the famous American manager who has its origins in this town), a powerful symbol of union between the USA and Fortore. The concert was organized in collaboration with the Associazione Anziani di San Marco dei Cavoti, as an opportunity to give to the elderly an opportunity for dialogue, and cultural exchange;
- The second concert was held in San Giorgio la Molara, just a few kilometers away from San Marco dei Cavoti, at the Taverna del Marchese, a place that is located on the hills of Fortore at an altitude of about 600 meters. A very charming place surrounded by green hills, a perfect setting for the country-music band of Mismountain Boys.
The project, which received a grant from the Nando Peretti Foundation, aimes to organize a concert in order to:
- create opportunities for gathering and cultural exchange;
- use music and the performing arts as a tool to foster collective growth;
- highlight Fortore as a meeting place between the people and the artists from different parts of Italy.