Support to the First Smile House in Milan for the Treatment of Facial Malformations
- Operation Smile’s Second Medical Mission in Ghana (Mother project)
- Operation Smile Jordan Mission – Safe Surgeries for 80 Children
- Support to the Operation Smile Peru Mission to Provide Free Medical and Surgical Care to Children Suffering from Cleft Lips and Cleft Palates
- Operation Smile Eradication “Mega Mission in Nicaragua November 2016”
Project location: ITALY, Milan
Project start date: October 2013 - Project end date: October 2014
Project number: 2013-047
Beneficiary: Fondazione Operation Smile Italia Onlus
The Smile House in Milano's main objectives are:
• Treating Italian and non Italian patients living in Italy affected by facial malformations such as cleft lip and palate;
• Conducting medical fellowships, workshops and specialty training for medical staff coming from countries having limited sources offering year-round treatment and medical training;
• Implementing three research projects concerning maxillo-orthopaedic growth; nose and throat functionality; and cleft lip and palate genetics.
In co-operation with the Ospedale San Paolo in Milan, The Smile House plans to screen around 900 patients, to provide them with free medical examinations as well as to perform about 150 safe surgeries from June 2013 to June 2014. The team will include plastic surgeons, anaesthesiologists, paediatricians, nurses, speech pathologists, psychologists and other credentialed health professionals.
The Nando Peretti Foundation awarded a grant for this project also for an additional year, until June 2015.
In 2012 this project achieved:
Screened patients: 872
Patients who underwent surgery: 133
1st surgery: 64
2nd surgery: 69
Operation Smile aim is to treat about the same number of patients or more.