Supporting the exhibition and publication: ‘Made in Italy: una visione modernista. Moda – Arte – Fotografia – Design. 1956-1965’ (Photographs: Johnny Moncada)
Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: May 2014 - Project end date: August 2014
Project number: 2014-006
Beneficiary: Associazione Culturale Valentina Moncada
With the creation of the book ‘Made in Italy: una visione modernista. Moda - Arte - Fotografia - Design. 1956-1965 (Photographs: Johnny Moncada) the link between Italian fashion, art, photography and design in the 50's and 60's was narrated, together with of the homonymous exhibition opened in July 2014 at the Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia, Roma.
The editorial project has brought to light for the first time, with a modern and original layout, the dialogue between fashion, art, photography and design in the years of the birth of ‘Made in Italy', the golden years of the affirmation of Italian fashion that crosses international boundaries distinguishing by excellence and elegance. In particular the work that the photographer Johnny Moncada has done together with the artists Gastone Novelli and Achille Perilli was presented. Their creations for the fashion catalogs collection's Luisa Spagnoli from 1956 to 1965, which included fashion photographs with artistic backgrounds, demonstrate a highly innovative and modernist vision that has emerged only now after fifty years, thanks to careful research at the Luisa Spagnoli Archive (Perugia), Johnny Moncada Archive (Roma), Gastone Novelli Archive (Roma) and Achille Perilli Archive (Orvieto).
The publication of this volume has been a valuable document as evidence not only of the exhibition at the Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia, but above all represented a fundamental contribution to the story of Italian style and fashion.
It is also important to emphasize that this work represents a further deepening of the work of photographer Johnny Moncada, whose Archive has been recently rebuilt thanks to the support of The Nando Peretti Foundation.
The volume ‘Made in Italy: una visione modernista. Moda - Arte - Fotografia - Design. 1956-1965, curated by Valentina Moncada, has gathered together the photographic material, digitally acquired and restored, and has been realized in the following ways:
- Selection of the most representative images,
- Realization of the graphic design layout publishing,
- Writing, translation and editing of the texts in volume,
- Printing and binding of the volume,
- Distribution and promotion.
In particular the distribution, according to the contract with the publisher Silvana Editoriale, occurred through numerous channels, such as:
- National and International Bookstores specialized in Art and Fashion,
- Libraries, Foundations and Cultural Associations,
- Museum Bookstore and Cultural Institutions both National and International,
- Foreign bookstores in France, Germany, Great Britain, United States, Japan, etc...
The event for the book launch and opening of the exhibition at the Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia has been a significant success, both in the general public and the press.
The event took place in the following ways:
- Private preview, 10 July 2014. Rich presence of personalities from the world of art an Italian culture, h. 19.00 (see invitation n.1)
- Opening of the exhibition in collaboration with AltaRoma 2014, 12 July 2014, h 17.00. Great presence of the Italian and international press, and of the general public related to the world of fashion and culture. For the occasion, a press conference was held (see invitation n.2 and press release)
Also, thanks to the presence of the exhibition, the Museum has recorded 2,000 attendances more than in the same period of the last year.
The event has been a big success in the national press. See the link below, where there are some of the major articles published about the event.