COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to "SolidAvis": Blood Donation as a Form of Solidarity and Integration during the Pandemic
- The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation Response to the CoViD-19 Emergency (Mother project)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Implementation of Anti-COVID-19 Measures to Give Support to the Homeless Population and/or Socially Excluded People in Informal Settlements in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to Third Sector Organizations in Agrigento and Trapani, Sicily
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of 2000 Hot Meals to Needy and Homeless People in Rome (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Palliative Care Team of the Breede River Hospice in the Western Cape, South Africa
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Improving the Hygienic-Sanitary Conditions of the Selam Palace Community in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to School Children and People in Need in Sicily (Siracusa, Noto, Modica Pozzallo, Scicli, Pachino)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to 80 families living in situations of serious social and economic hardship; support to two social cooperatives in Naples, Campania
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Emergency Vouchers, Hygiene Kits and Awareness on Hygiene Rules to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Improve Living Conditions of the most Vulnerable Households in Kabul, Afghanistan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Protection Materials and Basic Commodities among Communities in Hingalganj, West Bengal, India
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Personal Hygiene and Sanitary Products to Elderly People and People with Disabilities and Rebibbia and Regina Coeli Detainees in Rome, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to “Fondazione Prelz Onlus” for the supply of food and the Provision of Medical-Veterinary Care for the Animals Hosted in the Kennel in Campagnano Romano, Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - "No House is Far Away" initiative: Psychological and Educational Support to Students from the Ragazzi Don Bosco Village and Food Assistance for Families in Need (Rome, Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Primary Necessities to Children Living in the Informal Roma Camps of Tor Bella Monaca District and the Slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone in Rome.
- COID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting the Virgin Niña-EPDB Center in Favour of the Most Needy Families in the Community Of El Alto, Bolivia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Containing the Social and Sanitary Impact of Covid 19 among the Weakest Roma Communities
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting RE-Wild Liguria ODV 's Activities to Restore Wilderness in Ligurian Apennine, and Monitor and Protect the Feral Horses Population in Aveto Regional Park (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Hay, Food Supply and Veterinary Care for Horses at Risk of Starvation
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Promoting Horses' Welfare during the Emergency: Food and Support for Three Stables in Need in Padua, Rome and Urbino (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting ACEEGi "All For Horses" campaign to ensure welfare of riding school horses and adequate supplies of fodder and feed (Girona, Spain)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Compassion and Care Centre in Rome Dedicated to the Teachings of Dharma and the Preservation of Tibetan Culture
- COIVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Preparedness and Response Actions against COVID19 Outbreak in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Wakiso District, Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Preparedness and Response Plan in Northern Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY – Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Chin State in Myanmar
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Activities for Epidemiological Surveillance and Contact Tracing in Enna, Catania and Palermo in Sicily, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees (UNHCR) in Niger
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support for Summer Camps at Parco Natura Viva
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Project for Teachers: "Innovative Neurorganizing Methodology to Train Organizational Skills in Response to Changes in Educational Institutions"
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to People with Disabilities in Internally Displaced People Camps in South Sudan
Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: January 2020 - Project end date: July 2021
Project number: 2020-036
Beneficiary: Avis Comunale Roma Odv
AVIS association was born in May 1927 in Milan and then spread over the whole national territory. It currently has over 3,400 locations (a number that also includes 19 locations founded in Switzerland by Italian emigrants in the 1960s).
Italy has now become the destination of migrants from being a country of emigration, especially from Eastern Europe, North Africa and Latin America.
The immigrants present in our country are an important resource and must be involved not only in the world of work, but also in the deeper and broader process of social integration which passes through voluntary activities such as blood donation. The need for blood never ceases. There will always be someone who needs our help, a bag of blood to be able to heal from a serious illness or to overcome a dangerous bleeding. Therefore, the involvement of foreigners present in Italy is an important resource for dealing with emergency situations and for ensuring the self-sufficiency of blood. But in addition to this, the emphasis is also placed on the "integrating" function that the gesture of blood donation offers to immigrants. By making him or herself available, the foreigner perceives himself as a member of Italian civil society and therefore feels accepted by the community in which he lives and who has welcomed him. Approaching AVIS means more and more, therefore, also socializing and interacting with people of different origins, ethnicity, race and cultural backgrounds.
At the beginning of the Covid-19 emergency there has been in many Italian regions a serious shortage of donations, due to restrictions in people’s movement and in some areas Health Authorities did not allow blood sessions on mobile units.
There is a need to pay attention to "new citizens" by re-initiating a dialogue of mutual knowledge, which, starting from the differences, tends to build a sharing of common values and practices through the donation. In this sense, civil commitment through willing donation is a priority to ensure that Rome may have enough blood reserves.
A common condition for these needs is to consider blood donation not only as a medical-health act but as the choice that an individual makes to donate a part of him or herself, to an unknown, other person, which may be regarded as society at large.
AVIS will carry out, for one year, specific tests through pre-donation activities by collecting test tubes on potential traveling donors and residents belonging to different ethnic communities.
- promotion of the initiatives, coordination and management of meetings and appointments;
- auto-blood bank to be placed in a location in Rome easily reachable by Metro line B;
- health workers team (doctor and nurse);
- medical material to carry our specific medical tests;
- collaboration with related health care institutions.
The purchase and use of medical instruments, with related consumables, is envisaged within the PRE-DONATION SCREENING process placed in the auto-blood bank.
This project received a grant from the Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation to monitor and support services for potential donors, aiming at:
- a cluster of potential specific donors, identified by doctors according to personal characteristics or for specific individual conditions;
- citizens who confirm their desire to become donors, as a consequence of test results.
The total expected number is at least 3,000 people, tested, based on the population living in Rome in the donation age range between 18-64 years.