COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Primary Necessities to Children Living in the Informal Roma Camps of Tor Bella Monaca District and the Slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone in Rome.
- The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation Response to the CoViD-19 Emergency (Mother project)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Implementation of Anti-COVID-19 Measures to Give Support to the Homeless Population and/or Socially Excluded People in Informal Settlements in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to Third Sector Organizations in Agrigento and Trapani, Sicily
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of 2000 Hot Meals to Needy and Homeless People in Rome (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Palliative Care Team of the Breede River Hospice in the Western Cape, South Africa
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Improving the Hygienic-Sanitary Conditions of the Selam Palace Community in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to School Children and People in Need in Sicily (Siracusa, Noto, Modica Pozzallo, Scicli, Pachino)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to 80 families living in situations of serious social and economic hardship; support to two social cooperatives in Naples, Campania
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Emergency Vouchers, Hygiene Kits and Awareness on Hygiene Rules to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Improve Living Conditions of the most Vulnerable Households in Kabul, Afghanistan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Protection Materials and Basic Commodities among Communities in Hingalganj, West Bengal, India
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Personal Hygiene and Sanitary Products to Elderly People and People with Disabilities and Rebibbia and Regina Coeli Detainees in Rome, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to “Fondazione Prelz Onlus” for the supply of food and the Provision of Medical-Veterinary Care for the Animals Hosted in the Kennel in Campagnano Romano, Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - "No House is Far Away" initiative: Psychological and Educational Support to Students from the Ragazzi Don Bosco Village and Food Assistance for Families in Need (Rome, Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting the Virgin Niña-EPDB Center in Favour of the Most Needy Families in the Community of El Alto, Bolivia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Containing the Social and Sanitary Impact of Covid 19 among the Weakest Roma Communities
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting RE-Wild Liguria ODV 's Activities to Restore Wilderness in Ligurian Apennine, and Monitor and Protect the Feral Horses Population in Aveto Regional Park (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Hay, Food Supply and Veterinary Care for Horses at Risk of Starvation
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Promoting Horses' Welfare during the Emergency: Food and Support for Three Stables in Need in Padua, Rome and Urbino (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting ACEEGi "All For Horses" campaign to ensure welfare of riding school horses and adequate supplies of fodder and feed (Girona, Spain)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Compassion and Care Centre in Rome Dedicated to the Teachings of Dharma and the Preservation of Tibetan Culture
- COIVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Preparedness and Response Actions against COVID19 Outbreak in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Wakiso District, Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Preparedness and Response Plan in Northern Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY – Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Chin State in Myanmar
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Activities for Epidemiological Surveillance and Contact Tracing in Enna, Catania and Palermo in Sicily, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees (UNHCR) in Niger
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support for Summer Camps at Parco Natura Viva
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting a Pilot Project Dedicated to the Creation of a Ligurian Ecosystem after the Pandemic and on the Occasion of the Decade Of Sea Sciences For Sustainable Development
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Project for Teachers: "Innovative Neurorganizing Methodology to Train Organizational Skills in Response to Changes in Educational Institutions"
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to People with Disabilities in Internally Displaced People Camps in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to "SolidAvis": Blood Donation as a Form of Solidarity and Integration during the Pandemic
Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: April 2020 - Project end date: July 2020
Project number: 2020-010
Beneficiary: Associazione 21 Luglio
The aim of Associazione 21 Luglio's emergency intervention is to meet the food needs of families and the food and health needs of children between 0 and 3 years old living in some of the places with the highest poverty index in the city of Rome: the Tor Bella Monaca district and the slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone. To this end, since the very beginning of the sanitary emergency, the association has implemented weekly distributions of baby and family parcels containing food and other basic necessity items.
The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation has awarded an emergency relief grant to cover the costs associated with the purchase and distribution of basic necessities for 300 "baby parcels" and food items for 260 "family parcels", which are distributed on a weekly basis among the needy families of the Roma camps in Tor Bella Monaca, Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone.
As soon as the lockdown was declared to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic, Associazione 21 luglio conducted a research (through telephonic interviews) to monitor the condition of Roma communities living in housing emergency in Rome during what has been declared a worldwide pandemic. The investigation has been conducted within 5 of the institutional Roma camps in Rome, to understand how the lockdown ordinance would impact the most vulnerable families living in housing emergency. The study was published on the association's website and it will be soon available in English and French.
The findings are that there are no health workers in the camps for the distribution of medical devices nor any professional providing information about Covid-19. Moreover, the hygienic conditions, the inevitable promiscuity due to the limited room available for each family and the structure of the camp itself make the prevention measures ordered by the government impossible to implement. In some camps, after the lockdown was declared, the already stable presence of Local Police, at the entrance of the settlements, has been intensified. The majority of people feel safer inside the settlement and when they leave it, they equip themselves with self-produced devices as they never received any. Lastly, none of the families can keep working as the principle source of income is related to informal jobs.
To shed light on the conditions of over 6000 people living in the camps scattered in Rome, Associazione 21 luglio launched an appeal to the Mayor and the Prefect of Rome to map the conditions of greater fragility inside formal and informal settlements with the main aim of eventually guaranteeing basic necessities, adequate hygienic-sanitary conditions and access to drinking water.
Despite this appeal, to date the Municipality of Rome has not adopted measures to deal with the food and health emergency currently occurring in the camps.
On the 31st March 2020, the Municipality of Rome approved the resolution that allows the allocation of spending vouchers for all the families in serious economic and social distress due to the current state of emergency. Despite this opportunity, many of the families in the camps can't have access to this vouchers due to legal and administrative obstacles or are not in the conditions of waiting as they do not have any savings.
Associazione 21 luglio has then decided to directly support the most vulnerable families coping with the pandemic through the distribution of basic necessities and food.