COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Palliative Care Team of the Breede River Hospice in the Western Cape, South Africa
- The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation Response to the CoViD-19 Emergency (Mother project)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Implementation of Anti-COVID-19 Measures to Give Support to the Homeless Population and/or Socially Excluded People in Informal Settlements in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to Third Sector Organizations in Agrigento and Trapani, Sicily
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to School Children and People in Need in Sicily (Siracusa, Noto, Modica Pozzallo, Scicli, Pachino)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to 80 families living in situations of serious social and economic hardship; support to two social cooperatives in Naples, Campania
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of 2000 Hot Meals to Needy and Homeless People in Rome (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Improving the Hygienic-Sanitary Conditions of the Selam Palace Community in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Primary Necessities to Children Living in the Informal Roma Camps of Tor Bella Monaca District and the Slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone in Rome.
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Emergency Vouchers, Hygiene Kits and Awareness on Hygiene Rules to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Improve Living Conditions of the most Vulnerable Households in Kabul, Afghanistan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to “Fondazione Prelz Onlus” for the supply of food and the Provision of Medical-Veterinary Care for the Animals Hosted in the Kennel in Campagnano Romano, Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Personal Hygiene and Sanitary Products to Elderly People and People with Disabilities and Rebibbia and Regina Coeli Detainees in Rome, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Protection Materials and Basic Commodities among Communities in Hingalganj, West Bengal, India
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - "No House is Far Away" initiative: Psychological and Educational Support to Students from the Ragazzi Don Bosco Village and Food Assistance for Families in Need (Rome, Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Containing the Social and Sanitary Impact of Covid 19 among the Weakest Roma Communities
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Promoting Horses' Welfare during the Emergency: Food and Support for Three Stables in Need in Padua, Rome and Urbino (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting RE-Wild Liguria ODV 's Activities to Restore Wilderness in Ligurian Apennine, and Monitor and Protect the Feral Horses Population in Aveto Regional Park (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Hay, Food Supply and Veterinary Care for Horses at Risk of Starvation
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting the Virgin Niña-EPDB Center in Favour of the Most Needy Families in the Community of El Alto, Bolivia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting ACEEGi "All For Horses" campaign to ensure welfare of riding school horses and adequate supplies of fodder and feed (Girona, Spain)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Compassion and Care Centre in Rome Dedicated to the Teachings of Dharma and the Preservation of Tibetan Culture
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Preparedness and Response Actions against COVID19 Outbreak in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY – Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Chin State in Myanmar
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Wakiso District, Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Activities for Epidemiological Surveillance and Contact Tracing in Enna, Catania and Palermo in Sicily, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to People with Disabilities in Internally Displaced People Camps in South Sudan
- COIVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Preparedness and Response Plan in Northern Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees (UNHCR) in Niger
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to "SolidAvis": Blood Donation as a Form of Solidarity and Integration during the Pandemic
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Project for Teachers: "Innovative Neurorganizing Methodology to Train Organizational Skills in Response to Changes in Educational Institutions"
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support for Summer Camps at Parco Natura Viva
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting a Pilot Project Dedicated to the Creation of a Ligurian Ecosystem after the Pandemic and on the Occasion of the Decade Of Sea Sciences For Sustainable Development
Project location: SOUTH AFRICA, Langeberg
Project start date: March 2020 - Project end date: May 2020
Project number: 2020-007
Beneficiary: Breede River Hospice
BRH supports families where a member has been diagnosed with a life limiting or life threatening illness – doing symptom control and managing pain. It is not only the much-needed care for the patient, providing dignity and peace of mind, but also the support to the family that is invaluable and has an indelible impact on the whole family and community.
With limited resources BHR extenda its services tirelessly to a population of 104,289 of which 70% are coloured, 15% black and 15% white.
Having formed as an accredited Hospice civil society organisation, the Hospice was positioned to respond to the disaster of HIV at a time when one thousand South Africans a day were dying.
BRH maintains a team of a doctor, 6 registered nurses, 3 social workers and caseworkers who use ten vehicles to access deeply rural areas and bring home care and facilitate access to clinics and hospitals. This programme employs 33 lay nurses who are language and culture compatible with the communities which they serve. They are trained in health education and their objective is to promote wellness and prevent illness through early screening and detection of disease and the successful trasnfer of knowledge regarding available services and healthy lifestyles.
Being a non government, not for profit that is fully compliant with statutory and fiduciary requirements, BRH was able to step in with Department of Health as a service delivery partner for community based home care and support.
The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation, in 2017, granted a project to Breede River Hospice as a support to it's palliative care program.
As the COVID19 pandemic marches on, the Breede River Hospice (BRH) is facing a financial crisis.
The Hospice in fact, has had to close both their charity shops. The funds raised at these shops are directly allocated to operational costs but specifically to cover the salaries and petrol costs of their Patient Care Team. For the month of March they didn't reach the target at both shops (Lockdown started on the 26th of March) and will also not be making target in April (Lockdown anticipated to end on 16 or 17 April).
The Hospice management team is working from home trying to keep the wheels turning and to ensure that the services continue and none of the patients are neglected during this time. The Hospice staff also practically run around to ensure that they do not run out of medical supply: masks, sanitizers, liquid soap, etc.
The doctor, nurses and social workers only visit the very sick, Category 3 patients, but still provide support to all the patients and family members via telephonic contact. The Patient Care Manager monitors the situation daily, so that the staff do not overlook anyone who would need it's help. The service still runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Hospice will also embark on COVID19 home screenings. This will be done by it's Community Health Workers and Professional Nurses leading this team. This Home and Community Based Care (HCBC) programme is run in partnership with the Department of Health (DoH). The Hospice oversees all the logistical and project management areas of this programme.
In response to the Covid 19 outbreak, the Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation has awarded an emergency grant to help the Breede River Hospice (BRH) sustain its running costs. The NaEPF grant partially covers the salary costs of BRH staff.