COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Wakiso District, Uganda
- The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation response to the CoViD-19 emergency (Mother project)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Implementation of Anti-COVID-19 Measures to Give Support to the Homeless Population and/or Socially Excluded People in Informal Settlements in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to Third Sector Organizations in Agrigento and Trapani, Sicily
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of 2000 Hot Meals to Needy and Homeless People in Rome (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Palliative Care Team of the Breede River Hospice in the Western Cape, South Africa
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Improving the Hygienic-Sanitary Conditions of the Selam Palace Community in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to School Children and People in Need in Sicily (Siracusa, Noto, Modica Pozzallo, Scicli, Pachino)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to 80 families living in situations of serious social and economic hardship; support to two social cooperatives in Naples, Campania
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Emergency Vouchers, Hygiene Kits and Awareness on Hygiene Rules to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Improve Living Conditions of the most Vulnerable Households in Kabul, Afghanistan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Grant to Fondazione Albero della Vita for Distribution of Food, Protective Materials and Basic Commodities among Communities in Hingalganj, West Bengal, India
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Personal Hygiene and Sanitary Products to Elderly People and People with Disabilities and Rebibbia and Regina Coeli Detainees in Rome, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to “Fondazione Prelz Onlus” for the supply of food and the Provision of Medical-Veterinary Care for the Animals Hosted in the Kennel in Campagnano Romano, Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - "No House is Far Away" initiative: Psychological and Educational Support to Students from the Ragazzi Don Bosco Village and Food Assistance for Families in Need (Rome, Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Primary Necessities to Children Living in the Informal Roma Camps of Tor Bella Monaca District and the Slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone in Rome.
- COID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting the Virgin Niña-EPDB Center in Favour of the Most Needy Families in the Community Of El Alto, Bolivia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Containing the Social and Sanitary Impact of Covid 19 among the Weakest Roma Communities
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting RE-Wild Liguria ODV 's Activities to Restore Wilderness in Ligurian Apennine, and Monitor and Protect the Feral Horses Population in Aveto Regional Park (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Hay, Food Supply and Veterinary Care for Horses at Risk of Starvation
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Promoting Horses' Welfare during the Emergency: Food and Support for Three Stables in Need in Padua, Rome and Urbino (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting ACEEGi "All For Horses" campaign to ensure welfare of riding school horses and adequate supplies of fodder and feed (Girona, Spain)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Compassion and Care Centre in Rome Dedicated to the Teachings of Dharma and the Preservation of Tibetan Culture
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Preparedness and Response Actions against COVID19 Outbreak in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY – Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Chin State in Myanmar
- Supporting Activities for Epidemiological Surveillance and Contact Tracing in Enna, Catania and Palermo in Sicily, Italy
Project location: UGANDA, Wakiso
Project start date: July 2020 - Project end date: December 2020
Project number: 2020-027
Beneficiary: A-Z Children Ltd T/A Nurture Africa
Nurture Africa is a non-governmental organisation registered both internationally and in Uganda. The organisation has a targeted focus upon providing access to healthcare, education and economic empowerment through business training and micro-finance projects and mainstreams child rights and gender equality throughout its projects.
The Nurture Africa Health Centre in Wakiso District, Uganda, is a 24-hour facility providing emergency, primary health, HIV care and treatment, Tuberculosis (TB), maternal and child health (including ante natal, ultrasound, delivery, post-natal care, immunisation, family planning) to approximately 30,000 patients a year. It serves the population of Nansana and surrounding areas with a catchment area of approximately 500,000. It serves the most vulnerable in society; those living below the poverty line, who are HIV infected or with other factors that make them vulnerable.
This health centre offers comprehensive Maternal and child health services (ante natal, ultrasound, delivery, post-natal, immunization, emergency referral, transport from hard to reach areas), SRH/Family planning services including Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) services, Primary health care services, HIV prevention, care and treatment services, TB services, laboratory services, cancer screening, admissions and referral services, disability care services, comprehensive outreach services (ANC, mobile ultrasound, PNC, FP, immunizations, HCT, ART).
The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation supported Nurture Africa in 2017 as a partner of the South Sudan Humanitarian plan and it is still supported in an ongoing project in the refugee’s camp of Imvepi, in Uganda.
Uganda registered its first case of COVID-19 on March the 22nd 2020. To address this situation the country has put in place a robust surveillance system with emphasis on infection prevention and control through the national task force. Due to Uganda’s poor health infrastructure with 65 ICU beds for a population of over 40 million containing the virus now through ‘test, treat and trace’ is vital. Entebbe Airport the international airport of Uganda is located in Wakiso. Wakiso also surrounds Kampala the capital which is home to a multicultural population including many Asians (Chinese, Japanese etc.). Some experts say that COVID- 19 has been in Uganda for some time. The Government has recognized the serious of the issue and put the necessary measures in place. Although the confirmed number of cases is still small this number will increase significantly without proper controls to be continually put in place.
It is important to note that vulnerable people, those living with TB, people living with HIV especially those with order disease conditions and those with advanced HIV disease may be at greater risk for COVID-19 related complications. Ante natal, immunization and delivery services are usually crowded which results in an increased risk of transmission and acquisition of COVID-19. Furthermore, most clients use public means of transport to access their care at health facilities and this increases their risk of exposure. These and other predisposing factors for the continued transmission of COVID-19 are being mitigated and prevented.
In response to the Covid-19 emergency, the Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation has awarded a grant to Nurture Africa to ensure that it is fully prepared to assist in the Ugandan Government’s national response to COVID- 19. In particular, financial support from NaEPF will help Nurture Africa achieve the following objectives:
- To screen 20,000 community members for COVID- 19 over a 6- month period
- To ensure Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is available to vulnerable clients and staff to mitigate risk of exposure
- To develop adequate protocols to ensure all patients and staff are protected and those considered infected by COVID- 19 are cared for in the appropriate way
- To ensure suspected COVID 19 cases are isolated within the health centre and do not pose a risk to other patients (HIV, TB clients, pregnant women etc.) and to ensure ‘social distancing’ is adhered to during emergency and routine appointment
- To implement safe but necessary protocols to ensure TB and HIV clients are still able to access their medications but at the same time kept safe