COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Improving the Hygienic-Sanitary Conditions of the Selam Palace Community in Rome
- The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation Response to the CoViD-19 Emergency (Mother project)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Implementation of Anti-COVID-19 Measures to Give Support to the Homeless Population and/or Socially Excluded People in Informal Settlements in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to Third Sector Organizations in Agrigento and Trapani, Sicily
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of 2000 Hot Meals to Needy and Homeless People in Rome (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Palliative Care Team of the Breede River Hospice in the Western Cape, South Africa
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to School Children and People in Need in Sicily (Siracusa, Noto, Modica Pozzallo, Scicli, Pachino)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to 80 families living in situations of serious social and economic hardship; support to two social cooperatives in Naples, Campania
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Emergency Vouchers, Hygiene Kits and Awareness on Hygiene Rules to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Improve Living Conditions of the most Vulnerable Households in Kabul, Afghanistan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Protection Materials and Basic Commodities among Communities in Hingalganj, West Bengal, India
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Personal Hygiene and Sanitary Products to Elderly People and People with Disabilities and Rebibbia and Regina Coeli Detainees in Rome, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to “Fondazione Prelz Onlus” for the supply of food and the Provision of Medical-Veterinary Care for the Animals Hosted in the Kennel in Campagnano Romano, Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - "No House is Far Away" initiative: Psychological and Educational Support to Students from the Ragazzi Don Bosco Village and Food Assistance for Families in Need (Rome, Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Primary Necessities to Children Living in the Informal Roma Camps of Tor Bella Monaca District and the Slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone in Rome.
- COID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting the Virgin Niña-EPDB Center in Favour of the Most Needy Families in the Community Of El Alto, Bolivia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Containing the Social and Sanitary Impact of Covid 19 among the Weakest Roma Communities
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting RE-Wild Liguria ODV 's Activities to Restore Wilderness in Ligurian Apennine, and Monitor and Protect the Feral Horses Population in Aveto Regional Park (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Hay, Food Supply and Veterinary Care for Horses at Risk of Starvation
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Promoting Horses' Welfare during the Emergency: Food and Support for Three Stables in Need in Padua, Rome and Urbino (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting ACEEGi "All For Horses" campaign to ensure welfare of riding school horses and adequate supplies of fodder and feed (Girona, Spain)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Compassion and Care Centre in Rome Dedicated to the Teachings of Dharma and the Preservation of Tibetan Culture
- COIVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Preparedness and Response Actions against COVID19 Outbreak in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Wakiso District, Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Preparedness and Response Plan in Northern Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY – Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Chin State in Myanmar
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Activities for Epidemiological Surveillance and Contact Tracing in Enna, Catania and Palermo in Sicily, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees (UNHCR) in Niger
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support for Summer Camps at Parco Natura Viva
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Project for Teachers: "Innovative Neurorganizing Methodology to Train Organizational Skills in Response to Changes in Educational Institutions"
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to People with Disabilities in Internally Displaced People Camps in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to "SolidAvis": Blood Donation as a Form of Solidarity and Integration during the Pandemic
Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: April 2020 - Project end date: June 2020
Project number: 2020-009
Beneficiary: Associazione Cittadini del Mondo
Cittadini del Mondo Onlus was founded in 2002 in order to fight social exclusion in all its forms and help migrants to integrate into Italian society. Since 2006 the Association has been active at 'Selam Palace', a building on the outskirts of Rome Inhabited by political refugees.
Among its activities the Association runs in this building a medical and social help desk offering basic medical advice, flu vaccinations, and help with accessing local social services aimed at integrating occupants into the life of the city. The Association has also established in the vicinity of Selam Palace an intercultural library where Selam inhabitants may spend time and, together with other immigrants in the area, participate in cultural activities. The library also hosts a twice-weekly social and legal help-desk for migrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
Since 2016, thanks to the support of the Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation, the association has had the chance to strengthen the social help desk and to deal with 80 requests for help. A good part of these requests were referred to problems of access to the national health care system; the doctors of the association reported several cases where poverty and exclusion from the system caused serious diseases. Today, an estimated number of 700 people, mostly Eritreans, live inside Selam Pa1ace.
Due to the present health situation caused by the epidemiological emergency from COVID-19, Cittadini del Mondo Association has been forced to suspend the socio-sanitary help desk operative every Thursday at Selam Palace. The service was interrupted in part for the limitations established in the ministerial decree, in part to protect the workers of the Association (shortage of personal protective equipment, hard to find, put their health conditions at risk).
Health and social workers are still available, by phone or email to manage emergency situations. However, Cittadini del Mondo Association has implemented some alternative operational strategies to continue the assistance for inhabitants of Selam Palace who, especially at this particular moment, are among the most vulnerable categories.
Since the start of the sanitary emergency and for almost a month now, Cittadini del Mondo has run an awareness campaign for the inhabitants of the Palace about the risks related to the current health emergency. Flyers have been prepared and records have, been made containing important information about disease and about the methods of transmission of it and instructions about the measures to be followed in order not to catch or pass on the. virus. All the informative material has been translated into various languages (Italian, English, Somali, Amharic, Tigrinyà, Arabic), shared on website and social media.
About three times a week a worker of the Association was outside Selam Palace, respecting the appropriate rules, for the distribution of the flyers and the disclosure, through the use of a megaphone, of the recorded information. This activity has attracted the attention of people there who, scared of the possibility of transmission, have been cooperative in implementing the appropriate prevention measures for the protection of their own health.
The Association is still currently working for the improvement of the hygienic-sanitary conditions of Selam Palace, purchasing and donating sanitation and hygiene materials an d tools to the inhabitants.
Italian public health institutions have also stepped in to assist the inhabitants of the Palace. Since April 6, after the hospitalization of two people later diagnosed with covid 19, the entire building has been isolated and is currently manned by the army.
A medical tent has been set up for medical triage and screening just outside the Palace, where doctors are currently screening and swabbing the inhabitants of the building.
As of April 19, there were 16 confirmed covid-19 cases and at least 33 suspect cases. These numbers are likely to rise in the next days. The sixteen people who tested positive were put in solitary confinement in hotel facilities. Food supply to the people who are still confined in the building is currently guaranteed by the Italian Civil Protection and by food packages delivered by the Papal Almoner.Some citizens of the neighborhood are also organizing food collections.
At the request of the Civil Protection, the volunteers of Cittadini del Mondo are present outside the building on a daily basis to carry out cultural mediation activities and facilitate communication with the families who live in the building. In addition, a small van of the Italian Civil Protection has been made available to Cittadini del Mondo to make urgent purchases (drugs or other essential items) for the inhabitants of the building.
Cittadini del Mondo received an extraordinary Anti-Covid 19 emergency contribution from the Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation, to purchase blankets, tracksuits, underclothes for the improvement of individual hygiene conditions of Selam Palace's inhabitants. Furthermore, the Association plans to purchase some sphygmomanometers to make sure that those suffering from hypertension can independently control their pressure to prevent their health conditions from worsening.