COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Compassion and Care Centre in Rome Dedicated to the Teachings of Dharma and the Preservation of Tibetan Culture
- The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation Response to the CoViD-19 Emergency (Mother project)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Implementation of Anti-COVID-19 Measures to Give Support to the Homeless Population and/or Socially Excluded People in Informal Settlements in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to Third Sector Organizations in Agrigento and Trapani, Sicily
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of 2000 Hot Meals to Needy and Homeless People in Rome (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to the Palliative Care Team of the Breede River Hospice in the Western Cape, South Africa
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Improving the Hygienic-Sanitary Conditions of the Selam Palace Community in Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to School Children and People in Need in Sicily (Siracusa, Noto, Modica Pozzallo, Scicli, Pachino)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to 80 families living in situations of serious social and economic hardship; support to two social cooperatives in Naples, Campania
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Emergency Vouchers, Hygiene Kits and Awareness on Hygiene Rules to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Improve Living Conditions of the most Vulnerable Households in Kabul, Afghanistan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food, Protection Materials and Basic Commodities among Communities in Hingalganj, West Bengal, India
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Personal Hygiene and Sanitary Products to Elderly People and People with Disabilities and Rebibbia and Regina Coeli Detainees in Rome, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to “Fondazione Prelz Onlus” for the supply of food and the Provision of Medical-Veterinary Care for the Animals Hosted in the Kennel in Campagnano Romano, Rome
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - "No House is Far Away" initiative: Psychological and Educational Support to Students from the Ragazzi Don Bosco Village and Food Assistance for Families in Need (Rome, Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Distribution of Food and Primary Necessities to Children Living in the Informal Roma Camps of Tor Bella Monaca District and the Slums of Castel Romano, Tor Cervara and Salone in Rome.
- COID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting the Virgin Niña-EPDB Center in Favour of the Most Needy Families in the Community Of El Alto, Bolivia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Containing the Social and Sanitary Impact of Covid 19 among the Weakest Roma Communities
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting RE-Wild Liguria ODV 's Activities to Restore Wilderness in Ligurian Apennine, and Monitor and Protect the Feral Horses Population in Aveto Regional Park (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Hay, Food Supply and Veterinary Care for Horses at Risk of Starvation
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Promoting Horses' Welfare during the Emergency: Food and Support for Three Stables in Need in Padua, Rome and Urbino (Italy)
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting ACEEGi "All For Horses" campaign to ensure welfare of riding school horses and adequate supplies of fodder and feed (Girona, Spain)
- COIVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Preparedness and Response Actions against COVID19 Outbreak in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Wakiso District, Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Preparedness and Response Plan in Northern Uganda
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY – Supporting an Emergency Plan in the Chin State in Myanmar
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Supporting Activities for Epidemiological Surveillance and Contact Tracing in Enna, Catania and Palermo in Sicily, Italy
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees (UNHCR) in Niger
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support for Summer Camps at Parco Natura Viva
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to a Project for Teachers: "Innovative Neurorganizing Methodology to Train Organizational Skills in Response to Changes in Educational Institutions"
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to People with Disabilities in Internally Displaced People Camps in South Sudan
- COVID 19 EMERGENCY - Support to "SolidAvis": Blood Donation as a Form of Solidarity and Integration during the Pandemic
Project location: ITALY, Rome
Project start date: June 2020 - Project end date: June 2021
Project number: 2020-024
Beneficiary: Campassion And Care Center-giamze Ta Chiong Tene Khang (centro Giamze)
The Compassion and Care Centre - Giamzé ta chiong was created in Rome in 2009 as a Tibetan Dharma Centre (Institute of Buddhist studies and practice), directly connected with the Gaden Jangtse Monastery in Karnataka, South India. The name "Compassion and Care Centre" was personally chosen by the H.H. the Dalai Lama, following the request of Gaden Jangte Monastery's Ven. Abbot. The Centre is dedicated to the study, practice, and preservation of Buddha’s teachings, within the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. It offers Dharma teachings, meditation and prayer sessions for deepening the understanding of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy and culture.
The Centre, currently located in the Trastevere neighbourhood in Rome, is run by a Committee led by the Chairman and the executive Chairman and the Monks of Gaden Jangtse Monastery, who coordinate all its ordinary and extraordinary activities and liaise with institutions at the national and international level. All decisions are made unanimously in the presence of the Executive Chairman, the Committee, the resident Monks and Ghesce Lobsang Sherap.
Ghesce Lobsang Sherap, as the spiritual leader of the Centre, gives teachings on special occasions, such as retreats, initiations and the three-years training Course for Dharma Teachers. He also supervises the work of the resident Monks, who, all being approved by the Abbot of Gaden Jangtse Monastery prior to their acceptance for the role, live in the Centre and perform its regular programs and ceremonies, taking care of all the spiritual needs of the Sangha (the community).
On a daily basis, the Giamzè Centre works to promote public awareness on the situation of the Tibetans, particularly Tibetan children and those who have escaped from Tibet through a chain of support and solidarity. Distance sponsoring of Tibetan Monks and children is at the heart core of the work of the Centre, which also supports Tibetan communities in the Himalayan region buying handmade artefacts (socks, hats and shawls) made by Tibetan women during the harsh Himalayan winter months, which are then re-sold on the occasion of special events.
Furthermore, the Centre is also very active in assisting people affected by terminal illnesses such as the SLA, cancer and ALA. This intense work is made possible thanks to the work of a number of dedicated volunteers.
The Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation has been supporting the Giamzè Centre since its creation. Due to the ongoing Covid-19 health emergency, all Giamzè Centre’s in-person activities and events have been cancelled since mid-February 2020. The Monks have remained in contact with the Centre’s members through the online Zoom platform, doing their best to continue offering Dharma sessions and allow for the study of Buddhist philosophy and teachings even during these difficult times. From a financial point of view, however, the Centre, which is a non-profit organization run solely on donations and voluntary contributions, has been strongly affected by the emergency and is currently struggling to keep up with its operational costs.
In response to the Covid-19 emergency, the Nando and Elsa Peretti Foundation has awarded a grant to the Compassion and Care Centre - Giamzé ta chiong covering its rent costs for one year.